The executive director of Hong Kong, Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, declared this Saturday before the outbreak of the new #coronavirus the emergency.
The executive director of Hong Kong, Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, declared this Saturday before the outbreak of the new coronavirus the emergency, raising the government’s response to its highest level, and announced a series of measures to prevent further infection in the population.
Lam said he will personally chair an interdepartmental steering committee, which will issue strategic measures regarding the outbreak as soon as possible, the public network RTHK said.
You might like also Chinese Government Announces New Strategy to Address #Coronavirus
He announced the suspension of all air travel and the high-speed train from Wuhan to Hong Kong “indefinitely.” In addition, temperature controls will be imposed for travelers leaving Hong Kong, with priority for those heading to Shenzhen and Macao.
Among other emergency measures, the Hong Kong leader also decided to cancel all official Lunar New Year celebrations and the Standard Chartered marathon, scheduled for February 9, in which nearly 70,000 athletes would participate.
Lam also confirmed reports that Hong Kong students and students will have two more weeks of vacation.
Lam said the new package of measures was introduced because the situation had reached a “critical point,” two days after the city’s first confirmed case, said China South Morning Post.
You might like also Chinese President Accepts “Serious Situation” for #Coronavirus
Authorities have confirmed five cases of coronavirus infection in Hong Kong. All the patients had been in Wuhan, a city in the central Chinese province of Hubei, where a mysterious outbreak of pneumonia caused by the coronavirus originated last December.
Wuhan’s coronavirus has already crossed the borders of mainland China, spreading to other countries such as Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Singapore, Vietnam, France and the United States.